Barstow Community CollegeStudent ServicesFinancial AidFederal Financial Aid Programs

Pell Grant
Pell Grants are awarded only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor’s or professional degree and have earned a high school diploma, GED or completed secondary school in a homeschool setting. Students who were enrolled in an eligible educational program of study at a postsecondary institution prior to July 1, 2012 may continue to be considered Title IV eligible under either the ATB test or 6 credit hour standards. The U.S. Department of Education determines eligibility. The actual amount of the grant is based on financial need; cost of attendance, enrollment status and the federal funds appropriated each year.

Pursuit of Federal Pell Grant funds begins with completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa.
The amount of the Pell Grant award is dependent upon the student’s Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and Cost of Attendance (COA) and enrollment status. You may only receive Pell grant funds from one institution at a time.

Don’t drop classes before checking with the Financial Aid office. If you do drop, your classes you may be responsible for paying apportion of your student financial aid back to the Federal Government. To avoid this situation, please contact the Financial Aid Office before you withdraw.
To decline Pell Grant funds you must complete and sign the Pell Cancelation form found at http://www.barstow.edu/fin_aid_forms.html. The completed/signed form can be delivered in person to the Financial Aid Office, mailed, or emailed to finaid@barstow.edu.

Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
Is awarded to Pell grant eligible students with 0 EFC (Expected Family Contribution) only. Funding for SEOG is very limited and not all students who are eligible will be awarded. Students should apply early in the application period. Some students who are awarded, may not actually receive the grant as funding is limited.

Federal Work Study Program

Federal Work Study is available to students with unmet need, who have a minimum GPA of 2.0 and are enrolled in at least 6 units for fall and spring, and a minimum of 3 units in the summer. FWS Work Study might not be offered during the summer semester.  Summer FWS Work Study depends on availability of funding. Students must maintain acceptable SAP (Satisfactory Academic Progress) status to be eligible.  To apply students must complete the FAFSA and submit all required documentation before submitting a work study application to the Financial Aid Office. Those students selected to work in a department will be awarded FWS funds.

Federal Direct Loan Program
Barstow Community College will be re-entering the Federal Student Loan program beginning fall 2020.
The U.S. Department of Education offers eligible students at participating schools Direct Subsidized Loans, Direct Unsubsidized Loans and PLUS loans. Barstow Community College does NOT participate in the Direct PLUS Loans program.These loans are federal student loans for eligible students and/or parent to assist with the cost of higher education at a four-year college or university, community college, trade, career, or technical school. 

Please note that information disclosed to students and or their parents regarding the HEA Loan is submitted to the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) and to the Department of Education. This information may be accessible by authorized agencies, vendors, lenders, and institutions. Borrowers can also access their records via NSLDS here.
Basic eligibility requirements for students requesting a Direct Loan:

  • Students must be enrolled in at least 6 units at the Barstow Community College District.
  • Students must have met satisfactory academic requirements.
  • Students must be enrolled in an eligible program of study.
  • First-time borrowers may not receive subsidized loans for more than 150% of the length of program of study. For example, if you are enrolled in a 2-year associate degree program, the maximum period for which you can receive a Direct Subsidized Loan is 3 years (150% of 2 years = 3 years). If you are enrolled in a certificate program that is 32 weeks, the maximum period for which you can receive a Direct Subsidized Loan is 48 weeks (150% of 32 = 48 weeks).The Department of Education may stop paying your interest subsidy if you exceed that limit. Please check with your financial aid specialist at your campus for additional information. Please click here for comprehensive information on the terms and conditions of loans and borrower's responsibilities.

**This page is still under construction**

2700 Barstow Road • Barstow, California 92311 • PHONE 760.252.2411 • FAX 760.252.1875 • TTY 760.252.6759
Copyright 2014 Barstow Community College. All Rights Reserved.